ACTION - Accesso alle Cure e Terapie Intensive Ostetrico Neonatali (Access to Obstetrical and Neonatal Intensive Care)
The initial study (ACTION 1) recruited all births occurred at 22-31 weeks gestation in the six regions from July 2003 to June 05. Five regions carried out follow-up at 2 years corrected age (ACTION 2). Subsequently, three regions carried out follow-up at school-age (8 – 11 years, ACTION 3).
The main objective of the ACTION project was to collect area-based data on mortality and morbidity, both during the hospitalization in the neonatal unit and afterwards, and explore risk factors, including pre- and perinatal, neonatal and infant variables. Additional objectives (for ACTION 3) were to assess the association between child health and his/her health-related quality of life, use of health care services, and maternal health and wellbeing.
- Start Year
- End Year
- Follow Up Is Ongoing
- Year of Most Recent Data Collection
- New Data Collection planned?
- Study design
- Number of Data Collection Events
- Number of very preterm (VPT) and/or very low birthweight (VLBW) births included in cohort (live & still births)
Cuttini M, Caravale B, Carnielli V, Chiandotto V, Contoli B, Corchia C, Da Frè M, Di Lallo D, Ferrazzoli F, Fertz M, Guzzo I, Miniaci S, Mirante N, Piga S, Rusconi F, Buiatti E. A two-year follow-up study of very preterm infants in Italy: aims and study design. Paediatrics and Child Health 2009;19(2):145-52.
- Geographical Area
ACTION 1: Lombardy, Friuli Venezia Giulia (FVG), Tuscany, Marche, Lazio and Calabria (6 regions)
ACTION 2: FVG, Tuscany, Marche, Lazio and Calabria (5 regions)
ACTION 3: FVG, Tuscany, Lazio (3 regions)
- VPT/VLBW Group Inclusion Criteria
- All live and still births between 22+0 and 31+6 weeks of gestation in FVG, Tuscany, Marche and Lazio. Live births in Calabria.
- Control Group Inclusion Criteria
- Italian 2-years children born at term recruited in FVG, Tuscany, Marche, Lazio and Calabria.
- VPT/VLBW Group Exclusion Criteria
- Control Group Exclusion Criteria
- Infants born preterm and those from foreign mothers.
Data Collection Events
||Perinatal assessment included collection of data on maternal obstetric history and prenatal care, pregnancy complications, delivery room care, pregnancy outcomes, infant condition and ...||2003-07||2005-06|
2 Year Follow Up
||At 2 years of age, participants attended a hospital examination to assess general health. This included assessment of health conditions, medication usage at time of follow up, vaccination history, ...||2005-09||2007-10|
8-11 Year Follow Up