AYLS - Arvo Ylppö Longitudinal Study
- Start Year
- Follow Up Is Ongoing
- Year of Most Recent Data Collection
- New Data Collection planned?
- Data (questionnaire-derived, measured...)
- Other access
We have data from questionnaires, clinical examinations, etc as well as data on cortisol from saliva samples.
- Study design
- Number of Data Collection Events
- Number of very preterm (VPT) and/or very low birthweight (VLBW) births included in cohort (live & still births)
1. Childhood Follow up:
Heinonen K, Räikkönen K, Pesonen AK, Kajantie E, Andersson S, Eriksson JG, Niemelä A, Vartia T, Peltola J, Lano A. Prenatal and postnatal growth and cognitive abilities at 56 months of age: a longitudinal study of infants born at term. Pediatrics. 2008 May;121(5):e1325-33. doi: 10.1542/peds.2007-1172.
2. Adulthood follow-up: Heinonen K, Kajantie E, Pesonen AK, Lahti M, Pirkola S, Wolke D, Lano A, Sammallahti S, Lahti J, Andersson S, Eriksson JG, Raikkonen K. Common mental disorders in young adults born late-preterm. Psychol Med. 2016 Jul;46(10):2227-38. doi: 10.1017/S0033291716000830.
- Geographical Area
- VPT/VLBW Group Inclusion Criteria
- All infants born alive and admitted to neonatal wards in obstetric units or transferred to the Neonatal Intensive care unit between 15 March 1985 and 14 March 1986 in the study area. No specific inclusion criteria related to gestational age or birth weight.
- Control Group Inclusion Criteria
- An infant born after every second hospitalized infant and without evidence of neonatal illness was identified from one of the three biggest maternity hospitals in the study area during the same period.
- VPT/VLBW Group Exclusion Criteria
- Control Group Exclusion Criteria
Data Collection Events
||Perinatal data were collected on gestational age, maternal smoking during pregnancy, pregnancy complications, delivery and birth, infant sex, length, weight, head circumference, parental ...||1985-03||1986-03|
5 Month Follow Up
||At 5 months of age, participants underwent an neurological and clinical assessment, measurement of length, weight, head circumference, and administration of the Griffiths Scale of Babies ...||1986||1986|
20 Month Follow Up
||At 20 months of age, participants underwent a clinical and neurological examination to assess length, weight, head circumference, cerebral palsy, visual and hearing impairment. The Griffiths scale ...||1987||1987|
56 Month Follow Up
||At 56 months, a clinical and neurological examination was carried out to assess height, weight, head circumference, neurological measurements, cerebral palsy, and visual and hearing impairment. ...||1991||1991|
24-26 Year Follow Up
||At 25 years of age, a full clinical assessment was performed to assess weight, height, waist circumference, waist anteroposterior diameter, blood pressure, 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure, body ...||2009-11||2012-12|