EPICure - EPICure
- Start Year
- Follow Up Is Ongoing
- Year of Most Recent Data Collection
- New Data Collection planned?
- Study design
- Number of Data Collection Events
- Number of very preterm (VPT) and/or very low birthweight (VLBW) births included in cohort (live & still births)
- Supplementary information about number of participants
- 306 long term survivors
Costeloe K, Hennessy E, Gibson AT, Marlow N, Wilkinson AR. The EPICure study: outcomes to discharge from hospital for infants born at the threshold of viability. Pediatrics. 2000;106:659-71.
Two year data:
Wood NS, Marlow N, Costeloe K, et al. Neurologic and developmental disability after extremely preterm birth. New England Journal of Medicine 2000;343(6):378-84. doi: 10.1056/NEJM200008103430601
- United Kingdom
- Geographical Area
- All of United Kingdom and Repulic of Ireland
- VPT/VLBW Group Inclusion Criteria
- Birth at or before 25+6 weeks of gestation.
- Control Group Inclusion Criteria
- Controls were recruited at the 6 year follow-up by identifying classmates of index children in mainstream school who were born at term (37+0 or more weeks of gestation). Controls were used in subsequent assessments.
- VPT/VLBW Group Exclusion Criteria
- Control Group Exclusion Criteria
- Birth before 37+0 weeks gestational age.
- Supplementary Information
- Control group included for 6, 11, 19 year follow up. Where possible the same control child was used at 6 and 11 year follow ups, if not a new child was selected.
Data Collection Events
||Data were collected on maternal characteristics, maternal health and obstetric history, pregnancy complications, use of antenatal steroids, labour, delivery, infant characteristics at birth, ...||1995||1995|
2.5 Year Follow Up
||At 2.5 years of corrected age, parents of the participant completed a questionnaire on living arrangements, family, socioeconomic status (employment, occupation, education, income), information ...||1998||1999|
6 Year Follow Up
||At 6 years of age, participants underwent a clinical examination and neuropsychological assessment. General cognitive ability and academic achievement was assessed using the Kaufman Assessment ...||2001||2002|
11 Year Follow Up
||At 11 years of age, the participants underwent a clinical examination to assess growth (height, weight, occipito-frontal circumference), lung function (respiratory medical history, clinical ...||2005||2007|
19 Year Follow Up
||At 19 years of age, participants underwent a clinical examination including anthropometric measurements (height, weight, seated height, head waist and hip circumference), hand grip strength, ...||2014||2015|