ETFOL - Treatment of extremely preterm infants: parents attitudes
A cohort of extremely prematurely born children and matched term controls was assessed at 5 years of age. The parents completed a questionnaire on their behavioral and social development. The purpose was to illuminate whether the children's general intellectual ability and parental sensitivity were associated with behavioral and social development.
- Start Year
- End Year
- Follow Up Is Ongoing
- Year of Most Recent Data Collection
- New Data Collection planned?
Data from the ETFOL cohort can be requested from Rigsarkivet http://dda.dk/catalogue/33444?lang=en
- Study design
- Number of Data Collection Events
- Number of very preterm (VPT) and/or very low birthweight (VLBW) births included in cohort (live & still births)
- Supplementary information about number of participants
- Of the 477 index children 386 were born <28 completed weeks and 385 were born with a birth weight <1000 g. The control group included 79 children matched on age, sex, parental educational level and area of residence.
1. Treatment of extremely preterm infants: parents attitudes. / Hansen, Bo Mølholm; Esbjørn, Barbara Hoff; Greisen, Gorm. I: Acta Paediatrica, Vol. 92, 2003, s.
2. Behavioral and social development of children born extremely premature: 5-year follow-up - NCBI Scand J Psychol. 2004 Sep;45(4):285-92. Hoff B, Hansen BM, Munck H, Mortensen EL.
- Geographical Area
- All of Denmark
- VPT/VLBW Group Inclusion Criteria
- Birth year 1994 – 1995, very low birth weight (< 1000g) or very low gestational age (< 28 completed weeks of gestation).
- Control Group Inclusion Criteria
- Babies born at term – control group.
- VPT/VLBW Group Exclusion Criteria
- Control Group Exclusion Criteria
Data Collection Events
||Data were collected prospectively from patient records by the study team using standardised forms and submitted to the project centre at Odense University Hospital. The cohort data was ...||1994||1995|
2 Year Follow Up
||At 2 years of age, participants underwent a structured clinical examination at outpatient clinics in local pediatric departments. Data were collected about presence of cerebral palsy, epilepsy, ...||1996||1997|
5 Year Follow Up
||At 5 years of age, participants were assessed by a physician and a psychologist. A telephone interview with parents was used to collect details of parental education level. Parents also completed ...||1999||2000|